- Brothers and sisters, we urge you to warn those who are lazy.
- Encourage those who are timid.
- Take tender care of those who are weak.
- Be patient with everyone.
- See that no one pays back evil for evil,
- but always try to do good to each other and to all people.
- Always be joyful.
- Never stop praying.
- Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
- Do not stifle the Holy Spirit.
- Do not scoff at prophecies, but test everything that is said.
- Hold on to what is good. Stay away from every kind of evil.
1 Thessalonians 5:14-22 NLT
I like making lists and checking things off. This list is not one that can be checked off one time. It is one that I must return to over and over.
The last line, could be one bullet, or two. It can also be interpreted in more ways than one. The first interpretation, is an action, but the previous sentence doesn’t appear to be an action. “Hold onto good things”. Hold is a verb. However, It seems that “what is good” is not really something tangible. So, my interpretation is that “what is good”, are actions, people, thoughts…which leads to “stay away from every kind of evil”, evil actions, evil (toxic) people, negative thoughts.
My thoughts tend to gravitate towards the “evil” or in this case, the negative. But, I think that is because I don’t always implement the other instructions in this list.
My struggle these last few weeks have been with three or four employees. 4 out of almost 100. 4% the bottom 4%. Instead holding onto what is good…. 96%, I have allowed these 4 people to take up residence in my head. Because they have taken up so much space, I have neglected the other 96%, I have neglected taking care of the other items in the list. Forgive me Father. Thank you for your word. Thank you for the 96% of amazing people in my life. Thank you for yesterday, where I didnt have the time to deal with the 4%, even when one was pretty much in my face, but behind my back. Confirmation that your spirit has lead me to the right decision. Please continue to lead me.
When I am easily offended by the 4%, I need to spend more time in the word.
The Heb. Translation, is they shall have no stumblingblock. I have allowed these 4 to be a stumbling block to me, and to others…. Father forgive me.